Thursday 10 September 2009

Blair: It was right to release Megrahi

Tony Blair last night waded into the Lockerbie bomber row by backing the decision to free him.

The former PM risked further angering the US public by insisting Abdel al-Megrahi's release was right.

Mr Blair also claimed he made the world a safer place by invading Iraq alongside America.

He compared the freeing of al-Megrahi to the part he played in securing peace in Ulster. Mr Blair told US chat show host David Letterman: "I think the hardest thing I ever did was sit down with the families of the victims of IRA terrorism.

"They'd say to me, 'How can you sit in the same room with the people responsible for killing my son or my daughter?' My answer to that was because I believe if they are prepared to change we can save lives and make peace in the future."

[The above are extracts from a report in today's edition of the Daily Mirror. I'm sure it's a great comfort to Kenny MacAskill that the man who dragged the UK into the illegal Iraq adventure thinks that his decision to repatriate Abdelbaset Megrahi was the right one.]

No comments:

Post a Comment